The temple’s in ruins, the bankers get fat.
The buffalo’s gone and the mountaintop’s flat.
The trout in the streams are all hermaphrodites.
You lean to the Left, but you vote to the Right.
Lyrics from “Deja Vu” by Rogers Waters, 2017.
Roger Waters (vocals, bass) with Jess Wolfe (backing vocals), Holly Laessig (backing vocals), Dave Kilminster (guitar), Jonathan Wilson (guitar), Gus Seyffret (bass), Jon Carin (keyboards), Bo Koster (keyboards), Joey Waronker (drums), and Ian Ritchie (saxophone) at Barclays Center. Us + Them Tour.
Photos by Rick Stachura. September 12, 2017.
(1) It’s the modern LED screen update of Edvard Munch’s old painting “The Scream”: Please Help, We Are Trapped In A Dystopian Nightmare!
(2) Waters and the image of a girl who can’t wake up.
(3) Donald Trump commands the “Piggy Bank of War.”
(4) During the long solo section of Pink Floyd’s song “Dogs,” Waters, Wolfe, Laessig, and others have a party wearing pig masks. They satirize today’s tower brokers — or “Pigs,” as Waters would call them — who’ll be sure to take whatever they can while the world collapses for everyone else.
(5) A boy hurls a rock at an oncoming tank.
(This story was originally posted to my old Tumblr site on May 21, 2018.)