Site Credits


 

Home Page

“Highway Ground Breaking Ceremony”

August 28, 1935.

Grand Street at East Street [de-mapped, part of today’s East River Park]. Lower East Side. 

“General Hugh Johnson, Mayor [Fiorello] La Guardia, Park Commissioner Robert Moses, and [Manhattan] Borough President Samuel Levy (left to right) as they broke ground at Grand Street for the first link of the East River Drive [today’s FDR Drive] to extend from Grand Street to 14th Street.”

By Unknown Photographer. From the Bettmann Archive/Getty Images. 

Retouched by Rick Stachura.

 

 

Sidebar

“Mayor Fiorello H. La Guardia Campaigning for Re-election”

1941.

Unknown location. New York City.

By Ralph Morse. From the LIFE Images Collection/Getty Images.

Retouched by Rick Stachura.

 

 

Published Work Page

“Horn Practice”

Circa 1977-80.

Between Pier 25 and the landfill for Battery Park City. Site of today’s Harrison Street Basketball Court. 

By Martha Cooper. From the cover of her book New York State of Mind, 2007.

 

 

Essential Photographers Page

“Self Portrait”

October 18, 1953.

Unknown location. New York City. 

By Vivian Maier. From the Maloof Collection, Ltd. at vivianmaier.com.

 

 

Latter-Day Longings Page

“William S. Burroughs and Jack Kerouac”

Fall 1953.

Allen Ginsberg’s Apartment. 206 East 7th Street, Apt #16. East Village.

By Allen Ginsberg. From the National Gallery of Art.

 

 

Indispensable Insights Page

“Johnny Guitar #1”

May 27, 1954.

7th Avenue, between West 47th and West 48th Streets. Times Square.

By Frank Oscar Larson. From frankoscarlarsonphotos.com.

 

 

Gift Shop Page

“View of the Queensboro Bridge from Queensboro Plaza”

May 1, 1912.

Long Island City, Queens.

By Eugene de Salignac. From the New York City Municipal Archives.

 

 

Press Page

“Street Light Repair and Penn Station Rising”

November 16, 1909.

7th Avenue and West 33rd Street. Midtown. 

By Louis M. Dreyer. From the Avery Architectural & Fine Arts Library at Columbia University. 

 

 

Site Credits Page

“Night View Illuminated for the Hudson-Fulton Celebration”

Sometime between September 25 and October 9, 1909.

New York City Hall. 

By H.N. Tiemann & Co. From the New-York Historical Society.